- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.KYM0koNE.dpuf Her Fiction Fix | Reviews.: Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten “Older” Books You Don't Want People to ForgetAbout

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten “Older” Books You Don't Want People to ForgetAbout

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 § 0 Comments


Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish:
The topic for this week is 10 books that people shouldn't forget about. This is pretty hard, as there are so many amazing books out there that have come out in the past. (Note: This is in no particular order, and I'm not limiting this list to YA books)
Wow, been a busy beginning to this week. I didn't get to do Bloggiesta on Sunday, its last day, so I have some tasks on my list that I'll carry over for next time. But they're tasks that I can always work on right now, so I will. Just because it's over doesn't mean I have to stop organizing!
In other news, it's a big day for Half-bloods everywhere. The 3rd book in Rick Riordan's series, The Heroes of Olympus, called The Mark of Athena is out today. I went out before driving to school and picked it up (pictured here). Will you be checking it out?
Without further ado, here's my top ten list this week:

  1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (1997-2007): Whether you love it or hate it, we all know how big gigantic a phenomenon this series was. The books, the movies; it's undeniably a big part of this generation. I've been a fan of this series since I was in junior high, and I remain a Potterhead until this day. I probably always will be one. J.K. Rowling introduced me to this amazing world through my teenage years, and I'll be forever grateful for it.
  2. The Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis (1950-1956): I literally grew up with this series, especially in school. It was one of those staples through school, reading these books. We read them in the 4th grade, and even in the 11th grade. I especially loved analyzing the stories and learning about Lewis' influences from mythology, religion, astrology and the like.
  3. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (1999): My family absolutely loves Nicholas Sparks' novels. A Walk to Remember was the first one that I read in its entirety. It's probably the first book that made me bawl like a baby, no lie. Can't forget something like that.
  4. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865): A childhood favourite of mine that I've re-read countless times. It's made its mark as a classic, and is one of those stories that you can appreciate when you read it as a child and as an adult years later.
  5. Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis (1956): The story of Cupid and Psyche is one that I've always, always adored. Lewis did it again with this book; his retelling of the Cupid and Psyche relationship inspired and paved the way for a lot of other great stories, and that says something about how great it is.
  6. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (2003): I read this book when I was 14 and fell in love with it. It wasn't that it was the best, most amazingly-written book ever, because it's not... it just has this certain charm. It's strange, sad, and unique.
  7. God Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips (2007): This is one of the newer ones on my list, and one of the funniest books I've ever read. You might know by now that I'm a huge Greek mythology fan, so this caught my attention right away after a friend brought it up to me. I absolutely love when authors take these classical and historical figures and bring them into our world. Just reading the summary itself screams hilarity.
  8. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (1997): Before I got into the Twilight books, the Vampire Diaries, and even Harry Potter books, I was obsessed with this. It had a bevy of paranormal creatures and a simple plot, but it stuck with me at the time. It was the first of its kind that I read and piqued my interest in this genre.
  9. Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan (2005-2009): I didn't start reading this until I was well into my late teens, and, oh boy. Instant favourite. I'm still kind of knocking myself over the head for not reading it earlier. By far my favourite books that concentrate on Classical mythology.
  10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (1999): This is my "last but not least". The book that really made me an avid reader, and remains my favourite to this day. I really can't say much more about it other than it changed my perspective on a lot of things as I got older.

What are some of your favourites?

What's this?

You are currently reading Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten “Older” Books You Don't Want People to ForgetAbout at Her Fiction Fix | Reviews..

meta

§ Leave a Reply